[Noisebridge-discuss] Sleeping at NB

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Thu Dec 23 22:06:55 UTC 2010

On 12/23/2010 07:47 AM, rachel lyra hospodar wrote:
> Hey jacob,
>
> I think it is a little odd that you keep harping on how people "should"
> approach the sleepers without leading by example.  Do you want to lead the
> noisebridge outreach program?  It is easy to jest about the meetings but
> they are where what you are suggesting actually happens - real-world face to
> face discussion and problem-solving.  That flavor of drama comes with snacks
> instead of carpal tunnel syndrome.

What's odd about it?

I'm telling you what my approach is and what I will do - I won't take
photos of someone on the sofa as my first action. If it bothered me that
they were sleeping there, I'd still talk to them before I'd do anything
else. I probably wouldn't take their photo while they're asleep because
I think it's a really serious thing to shame someone in such a way.

I'm not suggesting anything that I'm not doing myself or that I wouldn't
be comfortable doing myself. I think what happened with our Czech
visitor was a disgrace and I do not think it is worthy of emulation. I
imagine that in the future the contents of this list may even be used
against him - perhaps for denial of entry into the United States if he
ever wants to come back or perhaps for something else.

All the best,
Jake