[Noisebridge-discuss] maybe we just need walls so people can concentrate

Sai noisebridge at saizai.com
Fri Dec 24 07:04:52 UTC 2010

This issue also came up before, in a sense, with NB's first home.

There, something that caused a lot of social tension - in addition to
just availability of resources per se - was that you couldn't get away
from other groups. E.g. you could only really have one class going at
a time; loud conversations impeded on everyone; a soldering group made
it hard to use the main table; etc.

In 2169, this mostly isn't a problem physically; there's lots of
space. But it's a very noise-carrying warehouse; the sound component
of this issue is still present, as is the visual to some extent (like
Moxie pointed out). These are things that are pretty hard for people
to ignore just psychologically, without some sort of sensory input
control.

This isn't a comment on the tradeoff issues re what ought to be done,
just making an analogy to a more obvious previous case in case it's
helpful to y'all (well, at least to the oldbies) figuring out how to
deal with this one.

- Sai

PS For a fascinating look at the psychology of how people (and
animals) interact with distance from each other and the spaces they
live in, I highly recommend Edward T Hall, The Hidden Dimension.
Seriously, go read 'em - you'll notice a whole new aspect to many
situations. They're easy reads, too.

His other books are awesome too.