[Noisebridge-discuss] Meeting notes are up

Josh Myer josh at joshisanerd.com
Thu Dec 30 01:51:32 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 5:36 PM, Andy Isaacson <adi at hexapodia.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 04:47:07PM -0800, Josh Myer wrote:
> > Then they should use pseudonyms, as the membership roster is a public
> > record (as it should be).
>
> Yes, we're obligated to maintain a public register of voting members; we
> are not obligated to put that register on the googleable internet.

I don't think that word (Public Record) means what you think it means.

The voting membership of a non-profit is a matter of public record.
 Approximately anyone can request the roster, and once that legally
compulsory request is filled, they may do whatever they'd like with the
information.  Like, say, putting it up on the googleable internet.

This is a ginormous hole in the "privacy" noisebridge provides
quasi-pseudonymous* members; I will refrain from actually turning it into a
0day by following through on it, but any troll could do exactly what I'm
saying there for the lulz.  The zeroth rule of noisebridge drama: any
occurrence which, in occurring (no matter how absurd that may be) would stir
up noisedrama, will inevitably come to pass.

My conclusion: anyone who uses a pseudonym, but has registered under a real
name, probably should take a minute and send a non-archived email asking
about how to change that.
--
/jbm

* I'm going to go clean my mouth out with soap now, and my brain with
alcohol.