[Noisebridge-discuss] Door bell

Ever Falling everfalling at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 10:18:22 UTC 2010

"...while I appreciate your enthusiasm in getting
this doorbell problem solved I think..."

"BTW this seems to be your first post to the noisebridge-discuss list
and you are suggesting this. Wow"

one of these things is not like the other...

i think Blaine had an interesting idea but just not one that would work for
a number of practical reasons though i don't think RFID triggered acts of
terrorism against specifically NB members is one of them. tin foil hat much?
i think RFID chips are a touchy technology too but really now. you can at
least cut the guy a break for suggesting /something/ without whipping out
doomsday scenarios.

honestly how much would it cost to just get another buzzer? it can't be that
hard to replace.

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 2:02 AM, David Stainton <dstainton415 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Greetings Blaine,
>
> I've got to say that while I appreciate your enthusiasm in getting
> this doorbell problem solved I think
> RFID is a horrible technology for that purpose...
>
> I know a thing or two about RFID from hanging out with Chris Paget who
> graciously taught a couple
> of RFID workshops at Noisebridge...
>
> There is just now way I'm going to walk around with an RFID tag and I
> don't recommend anyone else do it either.
> The presence of an RFID tag can be detected from across the street or
> perhaps even farther away.
> RFID sensors could in fact be placed around the city to track the
> movements of Noisebridgers.
> Or how about a public-garbage-can that explodes when a certain number
> of Noisebridges congregate near it?
> Sound crazy? I'm sure that similar devices are being developed for
> sucka fool US passports with the new RFID tag...
>
> I will block the RFID access control motion. I will explain to all my
> Noisebridge friends my view on this matter.
> I won't be the only one to enthusiastically disagree.
>
> Please give it some thought before responding.
> BTW this seems to be your first post to the noisebridge-discuss list
> and you are suggesting this. Wow.
>
> Cheers
>
> ~david415
>

> On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 10:31 PM, Blaine Forbort <b.forbort at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I had a hell of a time getting in on Sunday.  There where a ton of people
> > near the buzzer, so I found it very odd that no one let me in.  Then a
> few
> > hours later someone reported that they had been buzzing for 10+ minutes,
> and
> > even though I was sitting near the buzzer, I only heard the buzzer go off
> > once and answered it immediately.
> >
> > I also spoke to another individual about the idea of an RFID system for
> the
> > gate.  The concept was very simple: a pool of RFID tags would be left at
> > Noisebridge.  You grab an RFID tag on your way out, and it would grant
> you
> > automatic reentry on your return.  The hardware for such a system would
> be
> > VERY simple; something like this:
> > http://www.makershed.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MKPX2 with a
> > microcontroller and a relay.
> >
> > The question is, would Noisebridge cover the cost of the RFID tags?  They
> > run from $1.50 to $5 each depending on what kind of chip they use (Hitag
> > would be nice so it would work with my implant).  If so, I'd be very
> happy
> > to help with the project.
> >
> > Blaine

Trying to fix or change something, only guarantees and perpetuates its
existence.