[Noisebridge-discuss] Door bell

aestetix aestetix aestetix at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 11:49:21 UTC 2010

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in on this.

It's great that someone new wants to work on a cool project at Noisebridge!
While coming to the meetings and events helps you meet people, nothing is
better than just doing something. Inevitably, someone else will want to
collaborate, and you'll have a great time.

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 2:55 AM, Jeffrey Malone <ieatlint at tehinterweb.com>wrote:

> > BTW this seems to be your first post to the noisebridge-discuss list
> > and you are suggesting this. Wow.
>
> I'd somehow missed this until seeing Ever's reply.
> This attitude that you need to be around for a long time in order to
> make suggestions or do something is COMPLETELY antithetical to
> Noisebridge's long standing claims of equality to everyone.

I don't know that we every claimed everyone is equal. We did, however,
insist on being excellent to each other. So now we have to ask the question:
how can people who have been around for a long time be excellent to new
people, and vice versa?

> In point of fact, the number of people who have showed up for the
> first time in the past month and helped Noisebridge with its buildout
> and and cleaning it likely exceeds that of the number who have been
> around for a long time.  People who are new are bringing in much
> needed help and fresh ideas.

Yep, it's the cyclic nature of the space. And it's worth noting that a lot
of people were involved long before Noisebridge as a physical space even
existed.

> Requiring they learn our 16 month history of mailing list drama in
> order to speak is unrealistic, and will result in the continued
> shrinking of our membership that has been happening for several months
> now.

While it is difficult to share a year+'s worth of experience with someone
who is new, we *can* answer questions. Are there any issues that have
recurred that we can prevent by offering answers to questions people haven't
asked yet? It might be useful to create a FAQ of sorts to explain *why*
things are the way they are.

Keep in mind that I'm not suggesting setting policy or rules, which I feel
would be counter to the goals of Noisebridge. If we were to create such a
thing, perhaps it would be best to do so in the form of stories or fables?
Rather than saying "this is how you need to act", giving a story or a fable
that makes people think about how and why Noisebridge works the way it does
could be really positive.