[Noisebridge-discuss] Door bell

David Stainton dstainton415 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 21:30:29 UTC 2010

Greetings,

What I meant was that RFID is mostly a horribly misused technology
and I think it was a suggestion worthy of some amount of criticism.
It's great that new people post for the first time when their posts
are not ridiculous.
I am not suggesting people have to be around a long time to post.
Obviously I communicated these thoughts ineffectively.
Such is e-mail... or perhaps my ineffective writing style.

Jeffrey, perhaps you are right and I'm being overly dramatic and for
this I apologize.
But I think I can make a fine case against using RFID for access control.

Here's a brief article touching on some of Chris Paget's work:
http://www.neoseeker.com/news/9787-insecurity-of-homeland-security-rfid-passports-shown-by-researcher/

Looky here; someone else with the same idea... bombs that target
particular nationalities :
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=289

I certainly don't want to conflate these issues... but I think
passport RFID is an excellent example of
misuse of this technology. And access control with RFID not all that different.

~david415