[Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebridge Lending Library?

jim jim at well.com
Sun Feb 7 04:51:42 UTC 2010

   My thanks, Will, that you asked.

   No, it is not a lending library. people who take
books home tend to keep them, and in those cases the
books are not available to others: not excellent.
   for one example, TCP/IP Illustrated is an expensive
set of three books, the first one of which is the most
important. We have a set of two that disincludes the
first and most important volume, thanks to someone
walking off with it.

   Note that noisebridge has a 501(c)3 status, and such
donations are restricted as to repurposing.
   It's not likely, but if there's some contest as to
proper use of donations, noisebridge risks losing its
501(c)3 status and may be subject to penalties.

   People who donate things to noisebridge do so with
some sense of mission, and donors are part of the
noisebridge community whether or not they are members.
it is not excellent to disregard the intentions of
donors: at least we should understand the intent of the
donation before co-opting stuff for personal purposes.

   My point of view is that if reusing community
resources for one's own purpose deprives the rest of
the use, as is the case of missing books, that is
sufficiently unexcellent that we should not do that.
   i consider myself sympathic to anarchistic ideals.