[Noisebridge-discuss] plasmastaub / roboexotica

Ever Falling everfalling at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 09:05:41 UTC 2010

you'll also wanna install a fume hood or some kinda vent (i brought this up
a while back at a meeting but it was stated we have a hard enough time
keeping the space insulated and warm without making another hole for air to
escape from).

but yeah i'd totally be down for an arc welder in the space if we had the
right set up and there were at least something set up so that only people
with experience can use it or at least have someone with experience to be
there to help anyone wanting to learn.

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 12:54 AM, Christie Dudley <longobord at gmail.com>wrote:

> Not all types of welding shoot of a lot of stray sparks.  If you get any
> splatter at all doing TIG, you're clearly doing it wrong.  This is the sort
> of welding I see Noisebridge getting into first, as it's the sort of
> delicate stuff you'd want to use for precision robots or bicycle frames or
> whatnot.  All we'd need is a steady metal table with a chair so you can sit,
> focus, operate the foot pedal and not melt your work surface.
>
> It does require a fair amount of room for this type of workstation, plus at
> the very least a set of UV screens around it so everyone doesn't go blind.
>  It does take a good bit of skill to TIG weld with any quality at all.
>
> Christie
> _______
> "The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom." -- W. Blake.
>
> The outer bounds is only the beginning.
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/genriel/sets/72157623376093724/
>

> On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 6:46 AM, Sai Emrys <noisebridge at saizai.com> wrote:
>
>> Alternative: would it be possible to set up a spark-safe shield around
>> a welding station to protect the wood?
>>
>> I don't know whether this is possible, but it'd be an alternative to
>> arguing only over whether doing so with the current setup is
>> sufficiently safe.
>>
>> - Sai

Trying to fix or change something, only guarantees and perpetuates its
existence.