[Noisebridge-discuss] Anybody interested in some EfM/VDSL "skunkworks" R&D?

Alex Perez aperez at alexperez.com
Sat Jan 2 20:57:05 UTC 2010

Note: EfM= Ethernet in the First Mile, aka IEEE 802.3ah

Folks,

As I've been examining the state of telco gear while investigating
rural ISP opportunities, In looking around in the market, I have come
to the conclusion that there's a gap at the low-end (price wise) of
the telecom equipment industry and am interested in seeing if there's
anyone out there, perhaps unemployed or underemployed, who might be
interested in mucking about with me in an attempt to make an open-
source EfM/VDSL switch/DSLAM.

Let me know if so, or if you're aware of any projects which have a
similar goal. I would ideally love to see these through to minimal low-
quantity production, and possibly get on the FCC's qualified "made in
America" list of telco gear which is a requirement for certain telcos
who want to accept federal broadband access stimulus dollars.

If you're interested, let me know so we can discuss off-list.

Cheers,
Alex