[Noisebridge-discuss] Urinal

Jeffrey Malone ieatlint at tehinterweb.com
Tue Jan 12 05:04:38 UTC 2010

> Not really, no. You can't pee in a toilet? Why spend $350 to benefit
> only some members? We could better spend that money on facilities that
> everyone can use.

I wasn't necessarily asking for Noisebridge to approve fund for this
-- although that is an option.  I was making a first step to see if
interest existed, and potentially interest for a few people to
volunteer some money.
The cost I quoted is a max amount, and it may be less.  The
installation of this will also not add any notable delays to the
completion of the toilets, which is part of why there is an
requirement that the materials be on-site on/by Thursday.

I also believe, perhaps incorrectly, that this will benefit more than
just the male members/visitors.  In theory it could help clean the
toilets cleaner (especially of urine on the seat), and more available
to women.

> I'm never going to use the washer/dryer in the building, nor will I benefit
> in any significant way from the induction range.  Yet my dues are paying for
> them.  And will continue to pay the power to run them.
> Part of being a group is that we pay for other member's reasonable
> frivolities.

I agree.  But I will note that the kitchen has been paid for by our
original buildout fundraiser.  From what I can tell, we are roughly at
the end of our budget from the buildout now.
All members and donors are continuing to pay for the electric cost, however.

>> Personally, I like the idea of the urinal because it increases our bathroom
>> bandwidth by at least 25%.  This matters when we hold big big events, such
>> as 5MoF, parties, etc.
>
> Does it? I thought this was just for a urinal, not a separate
> room/partition with a urinal.
>
> Most people won't pee in the "same space" as someone else.

It does.
As I noted in my original post:
> This could be installed in the room that is to contain the
> washer/dryer hookup

This would be to go into a room separate from the bathrooms.  In the
plans is a room that will contain washer/dryer hookups, which has been
part of the plan for months.  It would be a separate room, and thus
people's privacy issues would be satisfied.  This is also why the cost
is so high -- a sink must also be installed, as there otherwise would
not be one in there.

Overall, there doesn't seem to be strong support from those who have replied.
I would encourage others with opinions to share them, and will bring
it up as a short item at tomorrow's weekly meeting.

If I don't have real support after the meeting, I'll let the idea die.

Jeffrey