[Noisebridge-discuss] Urinal

Ever Falling everfalling at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 05:37:18 UTC 2010

I'm a little confused. are you proposing a small room in which there is a
urinal, a sink, and nothing else? a male, pee-only, bathroom? or are you
suggesting putting a sit down toilet in there too. if the former is the
case: that's just silly. if it's the latter then if you plan to allow 2
people to use the bathroom at the same time you'll need to put up partitions
and a door for the sit down toilet. if it's intended for one person at a
time with 2 toilet options then no partition is needed but it seems like
only a slight increase in speed/cleanliness for men.

so far i am for a urinal if the room it's in includes a sit down toilet and
possibly has a partition and a door for said sit down toilet if this new
bathroom is going to be intended for 2 people at a time. i'm still for it
sans partition but not as much as you'd only be able to have one person use
it at a time.

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 9:04 PM, Jeffrey Malone <ieatlint at tehinterweb.com>wrote:

> > Not really, no. You can't pee in a toilet? Why spend $350 to benefit
> > only some members? We could better spend that money on facilities that
> > everyone can use.
>
> I wasn't necessarily asking for Noisebridge to approve fund for this
> -- although that is an option.  I was making a first step to see if
> interest existed, and potentially interest for a few people to
> volunteer some money.
> The cost I quoted is a max amount, and it may be less.  The
> installation of this will also not add any notable delays to the
> completion of the toilets, which is part of why there is an
> requirement that the materials be on-site on/by Thursday.
>
> I also believe, perhaps incorrectly, that this will benefit more than
> just the male members/visitors.  In theory it could help clean the
> toilets cleaner (especially of urine on the seat), and more available
> to women.
>

> > I'm never going to use the washer/dryer in the building, nor will I
> benefit
> > in any significant way from the induction range.  Yet my dues are paying
> for
> > them.  And will continue to pay the power to run them.
> > Part of being a group is that we pay for other member's reasonable
> > frivolities.
>
> I agree.  But I will note that the kitchen has been paid for by our
> original buildout fundraiser.  From what I can tell, we are roughly at
> the end of our budget from the buildout now.
> All members and donors are continuing to pay for the electric cost,
> however.
>

> >> Personally, I like the idea of the urinal because it increases our
> bathroom
> >> bandwidth by at least 25%.  This matters when we hold big big events,
> such
> >> as 5MoF, parties, etc.
> >
> > Does it? I thought this was just for a urinal, not a separate
> > room/partition with a urinal.
> >
> > Most people won't pee in the "same space" as someone else.
>
> It does.
> As I noted in my original post:
> > This could be installed in the room that is to contain the
> > washer/dryer hookup
>
> This would be to go into a room separate from the bathrooms.  In the
> plans is a room that will contain washer/dryer hookups, which has been
> part of the plan for months.  It would be a separate room, and thus
> people's privacy issues would be satisfied.  This is also why the cost
> is so high -- a sink must also be installed, as there otherwise would
> not be one in there.
>

> Overall, there doesn't seem to be strong support from those who have
> replied.
> I would encourage others with opinions to share them, and will bring
> it up as a short item at tomorrow's weekly meeting.
>
> If I don't have real support after the meeting, I'll let the idea die.
>

> Jeffrey

Trying to fix or change something, only guarantees and perpetuates its
existence.