[Noisebridge-discuss] Are shelves for members only?

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Wed Jul 7 06:33:28 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jul 06, 2010 at 09:56:10PM -0700, Sai Emrys wrote:
> a) Shannon says that shelves are for anyone who wants 'em, not just
> members.

I don't think that's quite right.

> b) Other people say shelves are only for members

I'm quite sure that's not right.

> * I don't care,

By bringing it up for discussion, you're showing that you do care (at
least a little bit).

> and I don't myself want a shelf.

That's a shame, because you probably should have one, since you're a
longtime contributor and would probably benefit yourself and our
community if you had some room to stash some stuff at NB.

> I'm just noting it as an inconsistency.

Humans are inconsistent, we reserve the right to change our minds, and
the sanest course of action is often to avoid making a rule.

My take on it is --

Members get a shelf by default.  They don't have to have one, though,
and lots of members don't.

Someone who's not a member (for whatever reason) might benefit the
community by having a shelf.  If so, and we have some room, then why
not make the world a better place by giving them a shelf?

-andy