[Noisebridge-discuss] Are shelves for members only?

jim jim at well.com
Wed Jul 7 18:41:27 UTC 2010

   per shannon at last night's meeting, there is no
horse's mouth on this topic. shannon's as much of a
NB historian as any, so i buy that there's no
"authority" that we can search.
   i care about NB survival.
   it seems to me that NB may be too indulgent in
its policies and expectations, though i'm not sure
what's right. i'm open to ideas and mildly lean
toward
* members get keys to the place; others don't
* members get shelf space, others don't
* members get..., others don't
   in other words, improve the benefits of paying
money to support the place.

   some have noted that membership dues are not tax
deductible and do not qualify for matching employer
(or other) donations. a couple of people who've
backed out of membership in favor of making
donations are no longer around, and i suspect that
membership itself helps to keep involvement.

   i like shannon's suggestion that if people put
some shelving up somewhere in the space, they can
put their names on one of the shelves. this idea
doesn't mention membership, but i buy it anyway.