[Noisebridge-discuss] Charging for classes at Noisebridge

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Sat Jul 17 18:57:35 UTC 2010

On 7/17/10 11:46 AM, Sean Cusack wrote:
> One other random, and slightly tangential question: It appears that
> people are saying indirectly that if teachers are paid and students have
> to pay the class is better. Do people seriously believe this is true?
> Mitch turned me into an electronics nerd from a kick ass soldering class
> (and a NB regular), and M. Shiloh now has me well on the way to become
> an Arduino freak. I think these are 2 examples of stellar teachers and a
> motivated student (me) getting a ton out of a free class.

So I routinely volunteer  (e.g. am not paid) to teach on network related
workshops which either the students or the organizations bear some but
not all of the costs for. said workshops would not happen if with the
nearly as much frequency if all the money had to be raised by donor's.
morever I do think that it help's focus the students and their
organizations on maximizing the yeild on their experience as opposed to
simply putting in an appearance.

As an individual on the other other it's up to me to make the most of
the experiences I can have so yeah, I come to classes motivated, if I
wasn't I wouldn't show up.