[Noisebridge-discuss] Charging for classes at Noisebridge

jim jim at well.com
Sat Jul 17 23:34:17 UTC 2010

   (related topic, tho' something of an advertisement;
consider it as one class model.)

   there is a tuesday and friday study group meeting
in the turing classroom from 3 to 6 PM. as typical of
study groups, there is no leader. those who show up
should expect to lead and to follow and to read and
to do solo or group exercises. one of us regularly
repeats "the one who learns the most is the teacher"
in hopes that more persons will stick their necks out
and try to teach what they (believe) they know.

   THE POINT: YOU CAN USE THIS DEDICATED NETWORK AND
ITS HOSTS.
   in the turning classroom are a couple of switches
connected together, one of which is also connected to
a router in the rack and storage room which is
connected to a couple of 1U machines.
   the purpose of this set up is to let people try
out their system administration and networking skills.
   Currently there is no gateway for this lab network,
i.e. the "router" is working as a switch and hosting
a dhcp server. we are deferring the routing feature
until things stabilize, things such as the network
address (192.168.173.0) and whether we want to bridge
to the noisebridge LAN or to some other net, whatever
that would be.
   YOU CAN USE THIS STUFF if you like. Just be polite
net citizens and remember that other people have
expectations set up; if you want to change it, first
let others using the systems know and coordinate with
them before making changes.
   MENTORS WELCOME: current participants are various
stripes of stupid and ignorant and will benefit from
any interest shown.

   Money status so far: all equipment is owned by jim,
a NB member; anthony has donated $40 to NB. various
people have stopped by and chatted or taught or
learned or <other>. Group policy seems to be to keep
things this way (note one member occasionally nags
others to donate to NB).
   Attendance varies, committed members are few, we
have done little to promote it, depending on the NB
wiki listing and word of mouth.
   ANOTHER POINT: It's something of a petri dish,
whatever grows is welcome. How to sustain and nuture
it is not clear.