[Noisebridge-discuss] (no subject) ^-- SPAM

Leif Ryge leif at synthesize.us
Thu Jun 10 18:01:40 UTC 2010

On 06/10/2010 09:19 AM, Sean Cusack wrote:
> Sorry all - I hope peeps know that I didn't mean to spam the list - I think
> me...err...google made it all better.

Yeah, I figured you probably didn't mean to. Out of curiosity, how did
this happen? I understand that the city of Santo Adriano's website was
compromised by spammers, but what caused you to send that email to the
list consisting solely of that link? (Is your computer OK?)

And, what do you mean "google made it all better"? I just clicked the
link again and Google isn't stopping it from redirecting to a pharmacy site.

> We all use the talents we have to make the space better, right? Leif, you're
> likely an infinitely better coder than me. Me? I can do some stuff with
> booze. Sorry you think its a bad idea to try and use my ability to raise
> funds for the space other than walking in and dropping money in a
> bucket/sending a paypal donation, but this is a do-acracy right? so...tough
> shit :). In case it really wasn't clear in the e-mails, the point wasn't
> really to advertise a bar, but to advertise an event to get money for NB
> that happened to take place at a bar.

I was reluctant to say anything at all, especially since Noisebridge
could use more funds and I do like to consume alcohol - I almost
attended your event last night myself. Donating to Noisebridge is great;
thank you for doing that! What I don't appreciate is advertising on our
website, and regardless of if that was "the point" it was clearly a
result. Elixir obviously held this event to make money for themselves,
first and foremost. They presumably made more money than they would have
otherwise, due to the crowd of Noisebridge supporters you brought in.
More significantly, in addition to last nights' revenues, they also
reaped an invaluable gain to their brand equity: Our good name is now
associated with theirs in many local alcohol consumers' minds. This is
obviously beneficial to them, and, assuming they made more than they
would have otherwise, it didn't cost them a thing.

Lots of companies would gladly throw some money at Noisebridge in
exchange for banners in the space and/or on our website. Luckily I don't
think our financial situation is so bad that we need to consider that
kind of thing. We have turned down "donors" in the past who would have
required advertising in exchange for their "donation"; I think we should
continue this practice.

If our financial situation ever does become dire enough that we decide
we must sell association with our name as an advertising product, I
think we should try to get the most value possible by going with a big
spender like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GoldenPalace.com (I'm only 5%
joking here - I sincerely hope it never comes to this, but if it does, I
do think we should shop around).

Cheers,
~leif

p.s. want to get a beer sometime? I'll buy :)