[Noisebridge-discuss] (no subject) ^-- SPAM

Sean Cusack sean.p.cusack at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 18:52:16 UTC 2010

Google had a sweet little self correcting mechanism that swooped in to
auto-disable my account and force a password change after the first bolus of
e-mails went out, so the problem got stopped pretty fast. The e-mails that
are out there still suck, but at least no more will go out from my e-mail
addy. Cool? Yes. Skynet-ish? Likely :) - put on the tin foil hats!

I hear what both of you are saying, but I don't think its really a super
sinister move on Elixir's part just to try and get more business. Although
their motive could be solely for bar owner profit (hard to say since I don't
personally know them or anything), I kind of think the end result is
universally beneficially. Yes, the bar gets some free advertising and a lot
of free labor from an inside man (me), but that happens all the time -
Noisebridge gets free advertising and free labor out of me too. Yes, an
unaffiliated third party makes more money that night. But in addition to the
bar making more money, the bartender on staff probably also makes more than
they normally would in tips, and a group that would typically make $0 from
people drinking at a bar (NB), gets money. Isn't that by definition a
symbiotic relationship? Everyone is helping everyone else.

Also, I think the advantage of breaking out into a different donation mode
every once and a while is that you get a different crowd donating into your
cause. A prime example: a lot of people that helped make our bay to breakers
outfits at Noisebridge showed up and tipped their guts out. I agree that
maybe it would be better if they gave directly to Noisebridge, but even
though they may love and support the space, its just not their bag to give
cash directly. They *want* to support the space, but they also want to do it
in their own way. A banner ad is very impersonal - people clicking clearly
don't care if you make cash, and they don't care about your cause. It seemed
really obvious from behind the bar that most people at Elixir last night
really did care about NB or else they wouldn't have been cool with putting
up with some slow and shoddy service for basic drinks (from me!).

Anyways, its my $0.02. Leif - we're totally on for beer! I'm out of town
this weekend, but will be in shortly thereafter -
Sean