[Noisebridge-discuss] Should the NB board take action wrt IRC?

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Sat Mar 27 00:55:20 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 05:06:14PM -0700, Jeffrey Malone wrote:
> Group registration allows us to hand out host "cloaks" to anyone who
> wants more anonymity on IRC.  The cloak changes their connecting
> hostname from the host they're using to connect to something like
> "freenode/noisebridge" -- it allows people to hide where they're
> coming from when they are registered to nickserv.

If you need an individual cloak on freenode, they're pretty easy to get;
no need to wait for Noisebridge to take action.  (The easiest way is to
make a donation and get a supporter cloak, but if $10 is a hardship, you
can bug a freenode staffmember for an unaffiliated one.)

Wouldn't noisebridge cloaks run into the same kind of in-group/out-group
issues that you raise with ops, below?

> have expressed dismay with it.  When (not if) the channel gets taken
> over again, I believe it would be best for people who are often around
> to be able to handle the situation rather than harassing two people
> who are busy and seemingly annoyed with the responsibility.

It's not much of a burden for me to clean up the poop when the
#noisebridge shitfest gets out of hand; I just need to find out that it
needs doing, for which I have to depend on people who have more time and
inclination to deal with the normal fecal level on channel to tell me.

That said, I don't see any reason not to have some people with chanops;
it's not much of a change from the current situation.

If I've met you in person (or we know each other fairly well online),
you know how to use irc, and you agree to be reasonably careful with the
sharp nasty bits, drop me an email saying so and giving the necessary
information and I'll consider adding chanops.

-andy