[Noisebridge-discuss] [drama] Frantisek is going to stop living at Noisebridge starting tonight.

meredith scheff satiredun at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 23:33:44 UTC 2010

Here's the thing.

I agree with al. I feel jake's message, but Frans has had months and months
to find a place.
I was homeless for 9 months last year. In that time, I slept at noisebridge
3 times. The rest of the time I couchsurfed (not the website, just the
verb). It was winter, and I never, _never_ wound up on the street.
Frans obviously has lots of people who like him. He's one of the most active
people at NB, not just because he lives there. If you're on this list,
saying "NO NO NO we can't kick him on the street OMG!' -- then offer him
your couch, or your floor or whatever. If you're saying noisebridge isn't
being kind enough, then extend your kindness.
Meredith

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 1:08 PM, girlgeek_wt <girlgeek at wt.net> wrote:

> If we decide to give Frantisek a 'night watchman' job, I recommend that
> it then becomes his responsibility to throw the SDL's out when it
> becomes clear that they are settling in for the night.
>
> I know, there is a LOT of room for misunderstandings in such an
> arrangement.
>
> -Claudia
>
> On 11/16/2010 10:18 AM, Jacob Appelbaum wrote:
> > On 11/16/2010 11:35 AM, Albert Sweigart wrote:
> >> A bunch of stuff about someone specifically sleeping at Noisebridge
> >>
> > I gotta say - what a bummer to name Frantisek specifically on an open,
> > public, archived mailing list.
> >
> > I agree with some of the things you've stated - though I personally do
> > not care if Frantisek sleeps at Noisebridge irregularly. I guess he
> > doesn't sleep there every Monday or Tuesday, rather he sleeps there when
> > he doesn't have another option for whatever reason. I see this as a
> > pretty class heavy discussion and it's slanted against those without
> > options. If someone generally misses BART - it's acceptable because
> > they're "doing the right thing" most of the time. We tolerate that
> > behavior because we understand that specific problem - it's a (upper)
> > middle class issue and we're sensitive to it. We've all missed a BART
> > ride and it sucks to have no option for some hard ass reasons.
> >
> > Personally, I think it's pretty fucked up that he doesn't have other
> > options; part of the general Noisebridge goal is to provide an
> > alternative to the rest of the world for people in our community.
> > Frantisek is part of our community and has been for quite a while. I
> > wonder what will happen? Will someone step up and help him as he has
> > helped the Noisebridge community? Will we change some things at
> > Noisebridge to deal with a specific issue in our community that people
> > care about? Or will we turn our backs and tell him to get fucked?
> >
> > With that said, we have long since agreed not to live in the space but I
> > will personally not ask Frantisek, a member of our community, to sleep
> > on the streets.
> >
> > I understand the principles at play and I can't fucking live with myself
> > if I'm pushing him into the winter rain. I really dislike your appeal to
> > economics as a reason for your lack of compassion. If you really care
> > about Noisebridge and money issues, why don't you kick in some more
> money?
> >
> > I'd probably resign my fiscal sponsorship if anyone seriously made it
> > "their cause" at Noisebridge to toss out Frantisek - that is the death
> > of compassion; it demonstrates rigidness of mind and hardness of heart.
> >
> > Early on at Noisebridge, we had a few people living in the space as
> > helpers. They were aware that they were guests and they did everything
> > in their power to not abuse this special unnamed place in our little
> > community. All of them have moved on and most of them are hard core
> > Noisebridge supporters now. Win-win in my opinion.

> [...]

doing stuff and making things
---
"The function of all art ... is an extension of the function of the visual
brain, to acquire knowledge; ...artists are, in a sense, neurologists who
study the capacities of the visual brain with techniques that are unique to
them. ." -Semir Zeki