[Noisebridge-discuss] [drama] Frantisek is going to stop living at Noisebridge starting tonight.

meredith scheff satiredun at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 01:18:52 UTC 2010

Here here. Al is attending to something that's been needed attention, that
no one else wanted to do, because we are all drama-fearing pansy-asses.
A cookie and handshake to you.

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 4:35 PM, Albert Sweigart <asweigart at gmail.com>wrote:

> >   jason's right. the word "living" has a specific and
> > strong meaning in english, and is definitely not
> > appropriate to describe your time at noisebridge.
>
> I feel like I need to clarify this, because it wasn't the impression I
> wanted to give at all. Frantisek was living, as in residing, at
> Noisebridge. He did not sleep overnight every single night, but would
> do so multiple times each week and had been for months. He also
> planned to continue doing this indefinitely for his stay in the bay
> area. He kept his personal affects here and the tea room had not been
> used for much else besides his bedroom.
>
> He said in one of his emails that he did not live at Noisebridge, but
> lived at "two or three [other] places". It's really hard to see
> Noisebridge as anything but just another place he lived, even if it
> was not the only place he lived.
>
> This isn't about sleeping at Noisebridge as in taking short naps
> during the day. This isn't about sleeping at Noisebridge overnight
> because you miss the last Bart. This is about consciously planning to
> use Noisebridge as a place to spend nights on a regular basis for an
> indefinite period of time, and to do so secretly without the informing
> the general community because they would find those types of
> reoccurring overnights unexcellent if they had known about them.
>
> This completely fits the definition of living that people mean when we
> say, "we don't want people living at noisebridge".
>
> -Al
>

> On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 12:29 PM, jim <jim at systemateka.com> wrote:
> >
> >   jason's right. the word "living" has a specific and
> > strong meaning in english, and is definitely not
> > appropriate to describe your time at noisebridge.
> >   you are living in the san francisco bay area, and
> > one cannot properly be more specific than that, given
> > your living arrangements. you are not living at
> > noisebridge. you have slept there and you're there a
> > lot. you may consider it your home as others have also
> > so claimed, but it is certainly not where you live in
> > the sense we use the term. please accommodate us native
> > speakers and don't get creative with the small words
> > to which we attach important meanings.
> >

> > On Thu, 2010-11-18 at 20:13 +0000, Jason Dusek wrote:
> >>
> >>   This is not what most people mean by "living at Noisebridge".
> >>   Thanks for clarifying yourself; but I think a more standard
> >>   description of what you are doing will be better for all
> >>   concerned.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Jason Dusek
> >> Linux User #510144 | http://counter.li.org/

doing stuff and making things
---
"The function of all art ... is an extension of the function of the visual
brain, to acquire knowledge; ...artists are, in a sense, neurologists who
study the capacities of the visual brain with techniques that are unique to
them. ." -Semir Zeki