[Noisebridge-discuss] meeting notes 2010-11-23 (SHOW ME THE MONEY edition)

Shannon Lee shannon at scatter.com
Wed Nov 24 19:28:07 UTC 2010

Actually, a point worth making here explicity:

While becoming a "Member" means that you get to take part in decision-making
("The Consensus Process,") paying dues need not be tied to that process.
 Paying dues or "making regular donations" need not be tied to this process,
but should instead be thought of in terms of "keeping Noisebridge afloat."

If you are a regular user of Noisebridge, $80/month is the Suggested
Donation Amount, if you are a Fully Employed Hacker, or $40/month if you are
underemployed / a student / an artist / etc.  If you are not a regular user,
in the sense that you just come in from time to time, consider chucking $5
in the donation bin when you come by.

Really, the $20 affiliate membership is aimed at people who do not use the
space, live in a foreign country, and mostly participate via the mailing
list and/or IRC.

In short, the "levels of membership" as I understand it:

* Full Member: $80 or $40 /mo depending on need plus the Hazing ("Membership
Process")
* Affiliate membership: $80 or $40 or $20 depending on your level of
participation.

To re-iterate, if you are a regular user of the space, it's expected that
you're contributing financially toward its upkeep.

If you know someone who is an awesome addition to the space, and who totally
makes the space better by their presence, you should consider sponsoring
them to a Starving Hacker membership.  I have been paying a Starving
Hacker's dues for a while now; I think it is a great way to help someone
contribute.

--S

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 10:12 AM, Sean Cusack <sean.p.cusack at gmail.com>wrote:

> I have an additional I-likey-tha-cash idea too:
>
> Can there be additional levels of affiliate membership that cost more?
> Actually, for that matter, maybe affiliate membership should be pushed a
> little more in general? My personal notes:
>
> I'd be cool to apply to be a full member, but I don't really want to have
> to deal with the whole waiting in limbo dillio. In addition, I don't really
> mind not having the ability to block consensus because I'm not a member.
> However, I love noisebridge, and want it to stick around for ever and ever
> and ever and ever. Lastly, I'm at noisebridge maybe once or twice evry other
> week, so I don't feel that I'm a super heavy user of the space, but I feel
> that I am totally a regular user.
>
> Typically, I'd been throwing cash in the bowl when I came in the space,
> because I completely forgot affiliate membership even existed (perfect for
> someone like me from the above description, do peeps agree?). However, I
> just signed up to be an affiliate member, but I think it'd be awesome to
> give something like $30/mo to the space instead of the $20 I'm currently
> signed up for. In fact, I'd also totally consider doing $40/mo to be an
> affiliate.
>
> Note: I'd feel bad signing up to be a starving hacker because I'm not
> starving. Therefore, I feel its wrong for me to get the privliges of a full
> member that pays $80/mo given that I can afford $80/mo, but am choosing not
> to pay for it.
>
> Anyways, in sum...can we push affiliate membership more and maybe add a
> $30/mo and $40/mo plan?
>
> Hugs and kisses and turkey farts,
> Sean
>
> On Nov 24, 2010 2:27 AM, "Rachel McConnell" <rachel at xtreme.com> wrote:
>
> This sounds like possibly the most productive meeting ever!  I am sorry
> to have missed it.  I've signed up to sponsor a day in December, and I'm
> picking December 1 FIRST POST WOOOOOOO
>
> Rachel
>

> Andy Isaacson wrote:
> > Al ran our meeting, and Andy took notes.
> >
> > Kelly gave our treasurer's rep...

Shannon Lee
(503) 539-3700