[Noisebridge-discuss] ATmega16

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Mon Nov 29 21:37:51 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 01:04:17PM -0800, TeeTrizZz wrote:
> My former teacher gave me a selfmade microcontroller with an ATmega16. We
> used them in high school but with serial port or something like this. This
> new microcontroller uses an AVR box for USB connection, so I'm able to use
> it with my notebook. Usually we used Programmer's Notepad with some custom
> header and batch files. So far, so well.
>
> He said I won't be able to run the controller right now, because one has to
> set some bytes or bits first. He said he would send me an e-mail with
> further instructions. Well, he didn't.
>
> I have this thing with me. Maybe someone is able to help me?

You want to get set up to do ISP.  It's pretty easy to do this with an
FTDI USB cable (you want "bitbanging mode"), or you can use another AVR
such as an Arduino.  Or you can use a custom-build box such as a
USBtinyISP; there is probably one you can borrow at Noisebridge.

Your teacher was probably referring to "setting the fuses".

You can use avrdude on your Linux box to do all the relevant
programming.

I won't be able to make it tonight, but generally there's somebody at
Noisebridge for Circuit Hacking Mondays who can help you get this
running.  You'll want to have all your hardware handy, and read through
some of the tutorials on Instructables or the adafruit forums.

-andy