[Noisebridge-discuss] Hot off the IEEE press

Charles Collicutt charles at collicutt.co.uk
Fri Sep 10 02:16:22 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 09, 2010 at 06:15:54PM -0700, Glen Jarvis wrote:
> I guess it really does depend upon transmit time of photon vs. electron in
> such a short space...

Electrons move relatively slowly in copper, on the order of millimetres per
second, but that doesn't matter. Voltage changes (and hence electronic
signals) are caused by the propagation of an electromagnetic field, which
happens at about the speed of light.

--
Charles

"The dinosaurs became extinct because they didn't have a space program.
 And if we become extinct because we don't have a space program, it'll
 serve us right!"
         -- Larry Niven, quoted by Arthur C. Clarke in 2001