[Noisebridge-discuss] noisebridge's birthday!

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Sun Sep 12 19:27:34 UTC 2010

Rachel Lyra Hospodar wrote, On 20100911 134955:
> 2169 was rented october 1, 2009...

Some history...

Noisebridge has been holding meetings and what not since the beginning
of time. 83c Wiese Street was rented on October 1st, 2008. If my memory
is correct, the lease for 2169 Mission Street was signed some time late
July, early August. The lease started September 1st, but I think the
landlords were nice enough to let us in early so we can start building
out sooner. The official 83c to 2169 move was held on the 3rd weekend of
September (folks had a problem with the date 9/11 being the official
move date).

On the 31st of October in 2008 we threw an party to show off in house
projects and also get new folks into the door, we gained a small number
of members and patrons that way.

https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Halloween_Open_House

On the 2nd of October in 2009 we threw a rather large party (one of our
biggest I think) as an open house and grand opening of our new space.
Several hundred people showed up and it was a "big" thing (we got
Laughing Squided and I think landed on a couple other SF tech blogs). We
had some musical performances, demos of cool shit, and an all around
good party. At the end of it we gained a lot of support, recognition and
many new members.

https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Year_1_Open_Hacker_House

Anyways, Noisebridge's birthday isn't something that can be documented
as a particular date, since the concept of it went through a few
iterations in different people's heads before the weekly meetings
happened. But, I do think October 1st is a good arbitrary date to stick
onto it.

--
Rubin Abdi
rubin at starset.net