[Noisebridge-discuss] History

lee worden wonder at riseup.net
Thu Sep 23 21:21:06 UTC 2010

I wonder whether Moxie is thinking of the Whole Earth Catalog Demise Party
of 1971:

http://www.wholeearth.com/issue/1180/article/321/history.-.demise.party.etc
   A non-stop non-score volleyball game competed for loudest activity with
   balloons full of inhalable laughing gas.  And then at midnight Scott
   Beach announced from the stage that these here two hundred $100 dollar
   bills, yes, $20,000, were now the property of the party-goers. Just as
   soon as they could decide what to do with them.

   "Flush them down the toilet!" "No, don't!" "Give it to the Indians!"
   "Bangladesh!" "Our commune needs a pump or we'll all get hepatitis!" And
   so on. The debate lasted till 9 a.m. the next morning, when a dozen
   remaining hardcore turned the remaining $15,000 ($5,000 had been
   distributed to the crowd at one wild point) over to Fred Moore,
   dishwasher.

Fred Turner's excellent book traces the outcome:

http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/817415_chap4.html
   In the summer of 1971, Felsenstein joined Resource One, a gathering of
   former staffers from a volunteer switchboard and computer programmers
   who had left the University of California at Berkeley in protest of the
   invasion of Cambodia; Resource One was also a project partly funded by
   several thousand dollars Fred Moore had taken home from the Catalog's
   Demise Party. At Resource One, Felsenstein and others sought to
   establish public computing terminals at several locations in the Bay
   area, with an eye toward creating a peer-to-peer information exchange.

ps. Welcome back, Moxie!