[Noisebridge-discuss] Anti-piracy / anti-Pirate Bay law currently in Congress

Thomas Stowe stowe.thomas at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 10:49:37 UTC 2010

I've talked to two corporate CEOs who have had legal actions taken on their
behalf with ICANN and some United Nations Body, using legal pressure to have
sites that threatened their business taken down, though I don't think it
will work in the long-term unless the United Nations goes further in that
direction. It might... France's three strikes laws are annoying. CPALead, a
Cost Per Action Internet marketing company was one of the companies that's
been doing that. I market for a living and it came up in chats with them.
Also, a large number of my fellow marketers who use spam and host streaming
movies are willing to go the extra mile and pay more cash to ensure that a
simple C&D or call from a law enforcement site or security division
(facebook security meddles in things that affect their business far too much
from what I know) to Godaddy doesn't get their sites taken down because
apparently that's pretty easy.

Having a pro-pot or pro-drug forum is almost enough to justify the
assumption that at some point there will be a law enforcement investigation
into the background of the owner(s) and that it doesn't matter if you're in
the US or not. Remember Overgrow.com? how about the movie sites ninjavideo,
the original tvshack.com (site, with old db has been put back up at
tvshack.cc) and the others? They weren't even in the United States.

Canada and the NL (where BREEN is the anti-piracy organization) aren't safe.
If I have anything that might be considered "grey" I put it on my servers in
HK, but since WorldStream is the bandwidth provider for my host, I'm not
even sure that it would stay up if someone wanted it down badly enough and
took a stance against it (DDOS aside).

I think as more and more people start spewing the crap that gets these
measures enacted, we'll see more trackers and forums go down and more people
go to jail. "Darknets" decentralize data and make it a bit more private but
aren't very good for public access. Rapidshare, megavideo and sites like
them already take down videos and files pretty quick but at least in the
sense that file/movie upload storage will probably be there later, they've
managed to evade a ton of threats and suits so far.

Crazy!

The information transmitted in this communication is intended only for the
person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential
and/or privileged information. Any review, retransmission, dissemination,
copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this
information, or any part thereof, by persons or entities other than the
intended recipient, is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
received this in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete and
destroy this communication and all copies thereof, including all
attachments.