[Noisebridge-discuss] Self Defense

David Stainton dstainton415 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 21:45:56 UTC 2011

Self-defense sparring? That phrase seems to suggest a very different
point of view than my own.
I think sparring has little to do with self-defense. Sparring does in
fact condition
restraint; teaches you to hold back because you will not want to
injure your training partner.
I'd suggest cross training where sparring is only done occasionally.

Knife junkies? I don't think noisebridge is even suitable for
producing good knives.
Anyway much more interesting weapons can be produced at noisebridge
other than knives
such as LED flashlights. Flashlights are weapons.
You are saying people shouldn't use noisebridge to make flashlights?
Or perhaps your definition of weapons is more limited and you do not
consider flashlights to be weapons?
Over the years of hanging out at Noisebridge I have seen various
designs of flashlights
that people have shown me. I enjoy talking with people about the
design of their flashlights.

It's true weapons are no good without training on how to use them.
But you didn't mention that they are also no good without knowing how
to conceal them,
and no good without knowing when to use them etc.

With regards to self-defense I don't really think weapons are needed
most of the time.
Often a dangerous situation can be diffused with a single word/phrase
or by making a single gesture
with your face or body.

I like how you mentioned that "situations" can be avoided if you know
how to carry yourself.
That is right on point...

I find many reasons not to talk about martial arts training; but the
main one is that it is something I do
and I don't have any need to talk about it. It isn't helpful to talk about it.

Talking about weapons and tactics however is totally different than
talking about training.
I think it would be great for people to talk about martial arts
concepts, tactics and weapons.
Concepts can save your life. So yeah I agree that it would be helpful
for people to talk about self-defense.
This is in fact different than talking about martial arts training.

There are many schools, teachers and communities to study martial arts
from in the bay area.
You are suggesting that people not seek out these communities but
instead try to build a martial arts community at Noisebridge?