[Noisebridge-discuss] ZiP Planning Sesh tonight / topics for first issue

Tony K. LeTigre anthonyletigre at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 19:24:01 UTC 2011

*Zine Planning Session & Brainstorming tonight, Thursday Dec. 29, 9pm*

I'm going to be @ NBridge tonight, 9 to 11pmish, to meet with anyone who
wants to brainstorm ideas for the first issue of the
ZiP<http://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Zine>.
I need submissions by Jan. 10 to hopefully have issue one online by the
15th. (I'm setting up the new online portal on Drupal now! Could use help
with that, too.)

What I'd like to do is send a couple blank pages - 5.5 x 8.5" size, 300 dpi
- to each person who expresses interest, to design & fill with content as
you please! How's that for creative license? This is assuming you have
Photoshop/Gimp/other design software & know how to use it. Alternately, you
might design pages by hand using old fashioned cut & paste method & we can
then scan the pages. (I still haven't found a working scanner in the space,
but I'm sure there must be one.)

I'm hoping we can laser cut a few of the pages I've already laid out
tonight. I haven't used the laser cutter before, though, & need a tutorial.
We could do the covers....

*Noisepress!*

Also, I was talking with Liz the other day about starting up a
screenprinting / printmaking / letterpress space in the Hackitorium area,
if we're able to find room. It would be a dream come true to find / acquire
/ purchase a platen letter press. If anyone happens to know of
one....probably too much to hope that someone would actually donate one,
but you never know....

I want to figure out how to use the plotters (there are several large
plotters near the elevator vestibules) too.

And the digital blueprint <http://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Map> of the
space I made Christmas night would look good on postcards, possibly Tshirts?

*TOPICS / IDEAS / CRAZED WHIMS*
*
*

*Reports & coverage from 28c3!*
*
*
*Consenso / Magic 8 Ball / Noisebridge oracle*
*
*
*Mysticism vs. Science (that old chestnut) - perhaps consolidate recent
Discuss List debate on astrology*
*
*
*Mythology / alliterative epic poem in the style of Beowulf based on
Noisebridge*
*
*
*Printing on unusual / experimental substrates (crepezines?)*
*
*
*Origami zine! You have to fold it into a certain shape in order to read it
correctly?

Josh's newly written 68K emulator (see
notes<https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Meeting_Notes_2011_12_27>from
Tuesday's general meeting)

Eugene Tsui <http://www.eugentsui.com> / Evolutionary Architecture - next
step up from Frank Lloyd Wright - Hacking architecture!

Geometry Corner: Spotlight on.....Dodecahedron (each issue we discuss
another shape - this was inspired by a current Onion headline: "Corner
turned in Iraq war, forming dodecahedron")

How far can the definition of "Hacker" be stretched? Do programming hackers
find this annoying? And, are we doing enough real hacking?

Specter of nuclear war led to creation of the Internet (via ARPAnet) - i.e.
as much as we may hate warfare, it has led to lots of things we consider
good

William Gibson's manual typewriter (author of Neuromancer)

John Draper's Cap'n Crunch whistle* (2600 Hz) used to hack phone companies
for free long distance (Hacker Lore)

*SATIRE* (The LeTigre Retort? silent T on the end - in which I adopt the
persona of an unhinged lefty conspiracy theorist for satirical purposes) -
sense of humor, Onion-esque, I really want voices for this

*Fake Ads*

Creation of *Noisebridge forum* to replace inappropriate personal drama on
mailing list - suggest possible sections of the forum (facetious or non)
[Note: RAYCe is going to help me set this up, I think....]

*Noisebridge history*: need to create archive or begin documentation
project, as there is already history forgotten (who designed the
Noisebridge logo?)

*Anthology* of peoples' first experience at NB, how they discovered the
space. *Noise in Print: Your First Time* (working title). Tony wants to
edit this. More info on Wiki page <http://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Zine>.

And we need lots of *GRAPHICS & EYE CANDY* for the ZiP! ASCII portraits,
digital collages, binary code pointillism. Why not?
*
Occupy Wall Street related piece / intersection of hacking & politics:
"Political Hacktivism"

The Mystery of Zero (this can be algebra-related, Tarot card-related, could
go lots of ways)*
*
*
*Noisebridge coloring book *(Liz has this)

I hope to see some of you tonight. Otherwise get in touch. Please.

End of File

+0ny