[Noisebridge-discuss] Android users can detect CarrierIQ, everyone else is out of luck.

Corey McGuire coreyfro at coreyfro.com
Thu Dec 8 02:00:36 UTC 2011

http://www.cyanogenmod.com/devices

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 5:43 PM, Christina Olson <daravinne at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >> Android users have a multitude of options in order to detect whether
> >> Carrier IQ exists on their smartphones, with at least a dozen
> applications
> >> available through the Android Market. While most of the apps will not
> stop
> >> Carrier IQ from running, they will at least give those concerned with
> the
> >> company's actions some solace in knowing for sure whether they're being
> >> tracked or not.
> >>
> >> Carrier IQ's discovery -- that stealthily monitors cellular users'
> >> smartphone activity -- set off a firestorm of controversy over the past
> >> several weeks. Some see it as a serious threat to users' security and
> >> privacy, while others have likened the reaction to mass hysteria
> generated
> >> by the media.
> >>
> >> Even here at BetaNews the subject of how exactly to cover the Carrier IQ
> >> story has become quite contentious. I've asked this question repeatedly:
> >> is it really as bad as it seems? With the court cases now revving up, we
> >> will find out soon.
> >>
> >> BetaNews tested out two of the available options -- BitDefender's
> Carrier
> >> IQ Finder and Lookout Labs' Carrier IQ Detector. The tests were
> performed
> >> on a Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket running Android 2.3.6 on AT&T's
> >> network, and both found Carrier IQ present but didn't indicate whether
> or
> >> not it was active. We presume so.
> >>
> >> Lookout's app has gotten between 100,000 and 500,000 downloads as of
> >> Wednesday afternoon, while BitDefender had received less than 50,000
> >> downloads.
> >>
> >> We also spotted a few apps that claim to freeze the process that runs
> >> Carrier IQ's hidden application. These include Trey Holland's Bloat/CIQ
> >> Freezer Free and RDMSoft's Carrier IQ Process Killer. Without more
> >> extensive tests, we can't independently verify these actually work as
> >> advertised, but customer reviews are generally positive.
> >>
> >> Have you got an iOS, BlackBerry, or Windows Phone and want to know where
> >> you stand with Carrier IQ? Right now you're out of luck. Apple's App
> Store
> >> did not contain any apps to detect the software: neither did
> BlackBerry's
> >> App World nor Microsoft's Windows Phone Marketplace.
> >

> > --
> > Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler - Albert
> > Einstein
> > Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo Da Vinci
> > Perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when
> there
> > is nothing left to take away - Antoine de Saint Exupéry
> > Keep It Simple Stupid - Kelly Johnson

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler - Albert
Einstein <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein>
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo Da
Vinci<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonardo_Da_Vinci>
Perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there
is nothing left to take away - Antoine de Saint
Exupéry<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoine_de_Saint_Exup%C3%A9ry>
Keep It Simple Stupid - Kelly
Johnson<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarence_Johnson>