[Noisebridge-discuss] [hackerspaces] lunar calendar recommendations?

Gopiballava Flaherty gopiballava at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 04:00:19 UTC 2011

On Dec 26, 2011, at 6:28 PM, Frantisek Apfelbeck wrote:

> I may find some info on the topic later on, if I do i share it,

Not sure if you noticed it, but here's a link I posted earlier with a long list of research on the topic:
http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/moon.html
The increase in suicides / psych admissions around full moons doesn't show up in admission records.

> otherwise we can have a chat about that with people who do not need "research papers" to investigate a new things, at least for them.

I hope I never meet somebody who *needs* a research paper to investigate something.

The people I work with don't need research papers when they have new ideas. What they do, though, is investigate whether their new idea is in fact new or not. They look at whether it's been tried before or not. If it's been tried and it failed, they'll probably try a slight variation on it.

Refusing to investigate something until you can find research papers on it is silly. Deciding that an idea is new and worth independent investigation without attempting to determine how many people have tried the idea out before you is also silly.

Published research may be difficult to read and stilted, but fundamentally it's nothing more than somebody saying, "I tried this out and this is what happened." I don't know why somebody would wish to ignore that.

You mentioned astrology, and seem to think that it has some evidence behind it. Here's a simple test you could do:

Have a friend choose four horoscopes every day, one that is for your sign, three that aren't. Remove references to the month, randomize the order, email them to you. You choose the one that fits best. Repeat this for a week or two.

Simple, straightforward, and hopefully enlightening.

Thanks,

gopi.