[Noisebridge-discuss] personal computers at Noisebridge (was Re: Missing Green Bike /w Red Grips.)

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Thu Feb 3 02:30:29 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 02, 2011 at 05:44:44PM -0800, Rachel McConnell wrote:
> If you have a problem with someone's behavior, talk to them.

I have tried to talk to Isky about this issue.  He's been unwilling to
communicate about it.  I have heard from at least two other community
members who've also tried to discuss it with him and gotten blown off.

I'd appreciate it if someone who has a good rapport with Isky could help
mediate better communication.  Rachel or Rachel?

My position is, I don't think that there should be personal desktop
systems set up long-term at noisebridge.  It causes a bunch of problems:

1. it doesn't scale.  We don't have room for everyone's systems.
2. it encourages the "owners" of the systems to assert property rights
   to specific areas of the space.
3. it's wasteful of power.  ($7-$40 a month per PC, if I math right.)
4. it encourages the "owners" to overuse the Noisebridge space,
   sometimes to the exclusion of other community members.
5. the "owner" is likely to feel personally affronted if their system is
   used to construct a giant robot.

I have no problem with temporary (8 hours, 48 hours) use of the space in
just about any innovative way -- hackathons, installfests, robot
construction that temporarily takes over the entire front room -- but
that's not what is happening here.  As far as I know, there's been an
"Isky's computer" in one of the classrooms continuously, for the last
several months.

-andy