[Noisebridge-discuss] personal computers at Noisebridge (was Re: Missing Green Bike /w Red Grips.)

Jake jake at spaz.org
Thu Feb 3 13:33:14 UTC 2011

if a computer is set up at noisebridge, and is available to be used by
anyone at any time, unless someone else is already using it, it is a
de-facto "public computer".

if Isky has not exercised "owners priority" over other people who are
using the computer when he shows up, the computer is being used in a
public way.

It is my understanding that the computer is not password-protected against
use by the public, and Isky does not ask people to Step Aside any more
than Miloh does so on Quagga (near the spectrum monitor) so the only
issues I can identify are as follows:

1. some people apparently have personal differences with Isky
2. some people may be chaffed by Isky being set up in Turing
3. some people may wish they could spend as much time at Noisebridge.

I think we should all ask ourselves if we could be spending our energy
more productively and interestingly than even talking about this.

For example - the wheelchair robot needs a Kinect for a head, so it can
tell what it's about to run over.  Who will be its next programmer?

-jake

---- someone wrote ----

     isky shares his computer with others, and seems to
me pretty freely.

     maybe define "the issue": i'm guessing something
like "some of us are pissed off that you've been
keeping your personal computer in that spot for so
long." (is that right?)
     whatever the issue definition, thence a
discussion. i don't mind these long, boring email
storms because they seem part of being here and with
each other, one way to work things out.