[Noisebridge-discuss] personal computers at Noisebridge (was Re: Missing Green Bike /w Red Grips.)

Danny O'Brien danny at spesh.com
Thu Feb 3 22:02:22 UTC 2011

I agree with Jim's observations. I think a lot of people presume some
implicit behaviour from what they see, without actually explicitly asking
(because explicitly asking is seen as rude or presumptuous or there is a
fear that it will lead to some sort of confrontation that cannot be ended by
simply closing the email client).

Isky labels stuff, but I've never seen him not allow others to use it. I've
seen him tidy up and do interesting stuff around the space on many
occasions.

A while ago I left my hat in the space, and after asking around, I
discovered that Isky had it. I asked it for him back, and he gave it back.
My presumption is that Isky feels that that is how people mostly treat stuff
in the space: that there's no expectation of ownership, but an expectation
that something will be well-cared for until it is returned/used. That would
obviously clash with someone who felt that a) something labelled with
someone's name should not be touched, or b) felt that one should be
tentative with all stuff that appears to be owned by someone. I would hazard
that Isky would be somewhat surprised that someone would feel they couldn't
use the desktop machine, and hurt if they did use it, but purely to hide
under a bunch of fabrics. I actually think that how Isky behaves is more
like what I read to be the norm at NB (but not my own norm). I was pretty
upset my hat had vanished, but happy with how it all turned out.

Also, and I fear that this is a side-effect of our general respect for
privacy, rumors do quickly escalate. There was a long bubbling rumor that
"someone" had put Noisebridge on coachsurfing.com. People would mutter
incredulously about this, and there was a rash of someone anonymously
putting a funny picture and a link to a couchsurfing entry on the frontpage
of the Noisebridge wiki to make a point.

I looked into this -- the couchsurfing entry was Isky's, but on close
examination, it was pretty obviously his nearby apartment that he was
advertising. Lots of people who couchsurfed with Isky had been brought by
him to explore NB (I've seen a few of them come by) and all of them were
amazed and impressed by our space, and by Isky's gentle and proud
explanation of how it worked.

Once again, if you perceive a problem, you should speak to the person
involved, and ask them questions. If you feel uncomfortable doing so
yourself, you can email me or talk to someone like Miloh or Rachel (I'm
guessing!) and we could help mediate or raise the issue in a non-threatening
way. Even small matters can quickly escalate, and it's a function of our
size and the nature we have a lot of sub-groups that communication between
them is often harder than communication within them.

I feel that part of being a do-acracy is being a say-ocracy. You need to say
what you're doing so others know, and if you have problems, talk to the
person you perceive to be a problem as a first step.

I would also say that while people label all of this as drama, I see it as
an attempt to improvise a conflict-resolution system, in the face of some
real challenges of how to do that in a respectful way.

d.