[Noisebridge-discuss] lockers for noisebridge - big enough? funding?

Leif Ryge leif at synthesize.us
Thu Feb 17 20:26:20 UTC 2011

On 02/16/2011 11:15 PM, Patrick Keys wrote:
> Leif,
> We can't consistently accomodate new people without a better way of
> allocating private space for their projects.  New people often don't
> know enough people to ask others to give up their shelf space.
Forgive me if I've missed something, but did you actually suggest a
better or even different way of allocating "private" space, aside from
the voluntary wiki registry idea?

It sounds to me like what you're proposing is more or less a
continuation of our current way of allocating shelves (first-come
first-serve, and being excellent to eachother), but minus a fair bit of
trust and (literal) transparency by using lockers instead of shelves.
This would seem to exacerbate the problem (if there even is a problem
allocating space, which I'm not sure there actually is) rather than
improving it.

As for new folks, needing to get to know people before they can find a
place to store their things in the space does not seem like a bad thing,
especially if/when we're short on room.

> The lockers would be opaque.  I think everybody at Noisebridge values
> their right of anonymity.  Not worrying about other people seeing what's
> on your personal shelf or messing with it seems like a benefit.
It definitely does not seem like a benefit to me. To me, a bunch of
locked lockers creates the impression of an environment where people's
things *would* be messed with, were it not for the locks, ironically
creating the very worry you say it alleviates (is my lock adequately
secure?! no).

An abundance of locks creates the feeling that locks are necessary.

Aside from the front door (keys to which are widely distributed), locks
have *not* been necessary at NB thus far. And it's a good thing, too,
because many people have come to NB specifically to learn how to pick them!

~leif