[Noisebridge-discuss] Maker Faire

Mitch Altman maltman23 at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 26 23:14:57 UTC 2011

Hi Rameen,

Great!

Please see my comments, below.

Mitch.

Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 14:30:43 -0800
From: emprameen at gmail.com
To: vonguard at gmail.com
CC: noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net
Subject: Re: [Noisebridge-discuss] Maker Faire

Regarding the first part I'm not sure about
5. Project Photo
Example: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/6/68664708_c51771e83e_b_d.jpg. Please select your best photo for your sign, not your flickr pool!
Please provide one specific photo URL of your project for use on the Maker Faire web site. Right click on one specific photo, copy link and paste here.

For this, I'd say to look through photos on the Noisebridge website, and Flickr photos with "Noisebridge" tags.  That should be plenty to choose from, but if you want more to choose from, you can also ask on the discussion list for cool project photos.  Then choose one you think is the coolest.

6. Project Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wamwklXWK4M

This video is great.

7. Project Keywords
hackerspace, community, collaboration, education, teaching, learning, sharing
(Use keywords to describe your project.)

Also, "hacking".

8. Category:
art, green, young makers, science, engineering, crafts, food/sustainability
Choose the single best category for your project.

Please pick the one you think is best.

9. Reference(s)
Are there other makers who are familiar with your work? List their email or other contact info here if we may contact them.

"Noisebridge is a model for hackerspaces around the world."  You don't need to worry about this, since everyone at O'Reilly knows about Noisebridge.

10. Are there other organizations or makers that we should be contacting about participating in Maker Faire? Yes.

You don't really need to worry about this one.

There second section is about public info and images. What single image should we use to best represent?
Then it goes on to private info about how it is best to contact us via mail and so forth. I'm willing to put my own information to collect any incoming postage and phone calls, but I don't know if this is the best way to maintain contact with Maker Faire!

Your contact info is as good as any other, since Noisebridge doesn't have any official contact person.  If you like you can ask our secretary, Seth, if he'd be OK using secretary at noisebridge.net as a contact email.  But he'll need to be on top of that email, and forward you anything that comes there about Maker Faire.

The third part is logistics about our booth.
"If you would like to sell your own creations at Maker Faire, you are welcome to do so as a "Commercial Maker". The fee for Commercial Makers is $325 which is due before May 6th. You will receive more information on being a Commercial Maker when you are accepted."

We need to collect money if we're going to sell mate or booch. If we set up something like a capacitor popper, then will it be loud? Do we want space to work, or power? Do we emit radio frequencies??
"Does your project emit any radio frequency? Please check all items that apply and provide any additional information about the frequency and/or frequencies and the amount of power that you will be using in the field below." Who is providing our safety plan should we need one?

If you are the contact person, then if they ask about a safety plan, you'll be delegating that to whoever is into providing that to you, so you can then forward it to the Maker Faire people.

We can probably say that we won't be emitting radio frequencies.  If that changes, let them know.

We should say that we are not selling anything.  Collecting donations is fine.

11. Educational Outreach Participation
Are you interested in participating in additional Educational Outreach activities related to Maker Faire?
a. Pre-event Maker Faire promotional activities? (This could include showcasing your project at various community events.)
b. Helping one of our 2011 Young Makers (ages 12-18) finish a project for Maker Faire--including meeting regularly with a local, Bay Area Maker Club in person and possibly remotely between now and May 21, 2011.
c. Visiting a classroom or school to inspire students and/or teachers, before or after Maker Faire. (We'll contact you as opportunities arise.)
d. Presenting to K-12 student field trip groups who visit Friday morning, May 20, from about 8am to 1pm. (Look for follow-up information on this event by email from Michelle Hlubinka when you check this box.)
e. Mentoring new and/or Young Makers in general. (You'll be added to our database of available mentors and we'll contact you as opportunities arise.)

Doing these things is a lot of fun!  Again, as contact person, if you think this is cool, then you can put out a call for people to do this.

I'm doing this for the Hardware Hacking Area.

13. Previous Participation
If you've participated in a previous Maker Faire, please tell us which one(s).
a. Bay Area 2010
b. Detroit 2010
c. New York 2010
d. Bay Area 2009
e. Bay Area 2009
f. Bay Area 2008
g. Austin 2008
h. Bay Area 2007
i. Austin 2007
j. Bay Area 2006
I know the wiki says 2009, but which one!!?

Noisebridge has been officially part of these:
a. Bay Area 2010
d. Bay Area 2009
f. Bay Area 2008

Thanks for dealing with the Maker Faire stuff.

I sent in a separate proposal for the Hardware Hacking Area.

Cheers,
Mitch.