[Noisebridge-discuss] Tuesday meeting notes 2011-06-21

Danny O'Brien danny at spesh.com
Thu Jun 23 09:19:59 UTC 2011

*Attention conservation notice*: clumsily reformatted mediawiki content.
Includes news of satellite TV show by Noisebridge member, "create a Tor
node, donate to EFF/Noisebridge" campaign, some yams, wanton use of
electricity, and HTML mail. Not done amusingly as medieval troubadour
allegory of courtly love or anything.

If you spot an error, please correct it on the Noisebridge wiki, which you
will find by following what the young people are calling "hyperlinks"
 below. Or type
https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Meeting_Notes_2011_06_21into your
modem or something.

I am thinking about reposting this stuff to announce after a suitable period
to allow for corrections. Am I on crack? Does my font look small in this
MIME type?

The 166th Meeting of
Noisebridge<https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Category:Meeting_Notes>

Note-taker: Danny O'Brien

Moderator: Eric

*Introduction and Names*

Eric -- AV geek

Devon -- Architecture geek. New! Hi, Devon, hope I got your name right.

Espen -- Norwegian psychology teaching building geek

Cynthia -- Kitchen geek

Johann -- industrial design geek

Jenny -- visiting academicky geek

Danny -- meta geek

Aestetix - pissing off people geek (not true!)

Kelly -- photography geek

Alexander -- just moved in, startuppy chaos music geek

Michael -- late-coming geek

*Announcements*

No announcements

*Financial Report*

Funds in bank: $16835, $3600 in rent going out shortly

We paid $755 in PG&E
Electricity<https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Electricity>bill. It
seemed high. Danny pledged to write an email to nb-discuss, and to
hell with the consequences. We will see next month if it is still high.

(Note, the thread and analysis in nb-discuss uncovered that a) there are a
lot of days in this particular month, b) we pay more in the Summer for our
electricity, c) the power usage has gone up, nonetheless, d) maybe it is the
increase in cooking, e) maybe it is the vending machine, f) we have a
powermeter on the vending machine so we could go check. Etc.)

Jenny pointed to http://growingenergylabs.com/ a friendly startup looking at
solar and stuff.

*Membership Binder*

Names were read off! New members are incoming!

*What's Going On at Noisebridge*

This is the active list of events from the main page:

* Upcoming Events*

* • June 27th, 19:00, Monday - **Tahoe-LAFS* <http://tahoe-lafs.org/>* Grid
Construction Party* - Come set up your own grid, or help set up a Global
Grid! Tahoe-LAFS is a (mostly) decentralized file-system which can take
advantage of untrusted server resources. Learn/share about installation and
use, security properties, or how to contribute. This event will be between
the circuit hackers and the kitchen, or possibly in the Turing classroom if
no one is using it. (*Note:* You may have read an announcement that this
would occur on the 29th, but the Legitimately Official Event is on the 27th.
<Insert joke about decentralization and consistency.>)

*Recurring Events*

   - *Monday*
      - Trash Night<https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/House_Keeping#Trash_and_Recycling>-
Take out the trash and compost for Tuesday morning!
      - 18:00 iPhone OS developer weekly
meetup<https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/IPhone_OS_developer_weekly_meetup>-
UPDATE!!! moved to Sandbox suites pending bedbug issue. We make teh
      applukashuns, joyn us 2 make dem 2! meetup
page<http://meetup.com/iphonedevsf>
      - 19:30 PyClass <https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/PyClass> - Learn how
      to program using the Python programming language.
      - *19:00 **Circuit Hacking
Mondays*<https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Circuit_Hacking_Mondays>-
Learn to solder! Mitch will bring kits to make cool, hackable things
that
      you can bring home after you make them. Bring your own projects to hack!
      There's now an Audio Hacking Adjunct group that meets along with
the Circuit
      Hackers.
   - *Tuesday*
      - 12:30 Django Study
Group<https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Django_Study_Group>- install
and use the Django Python-based web framework, Turing classroom
      - 15:00 Linux System Administration Study
Group<https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Linux_System_Administration_Study_Group>wiki
page - Study Linux admining in the Turing classroom.
      - 18:00 Tastebridge
<https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Tastebridge>Last Tuesday of every
month: Vegan Hacker: Vegan Cooking Class. More info
      http://www.veganhackerSF.com.
      - 18:00 Introduction to C Programming, Turing Classroom
      - 19:00 German Corner
<https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/German_corner>Learn and practice
speaking German.
      - 19:00 Ruby Class <https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Ruby_class>7pm-9pm
      - *20:00 **Noisebridge Weekly
Meeting*<https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Meeting_Notes_2011_06_21#Meetings>-
Introducing new people and events to the space, general discussion,
and
      decision making.
   - *Wednesday*
      - 17:00 Introduction to C Programming, Turing classroom (review of
      last Tuesday, preview of next Tuesday)
      - 18:00 Linux
Discussion<https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/LinuxDiscussion>- Linux
meetup in the Turing classroom.
      - 18:00 BioBridge
<https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/BioBridge>Practical microbiology -
we culture microbes for baking, brewing,
      fermentation and other yummy purposes. Come play and learn!
      - 19:00 SCoW <https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/SCoW> - Sewing,
      Crafting, Or Whatever! Come make cool stuff with geeks.
      - 19:30 Machine
Learning<https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Machine_Learning>- Teach
computers to learn stuff using artificial intelligence and other
      techniques.
      - 20:00 BACE Timebank
<https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/BACE_Timebank>(2nd Wednesdays) -
Help organize community mutual aid by trading in equal
      time credits. For more info email mira (at) sfbace.org or to join go
      to timebank.sfbace.org.
   - *Thursday*
      - Trash Night<https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/House_Keeping#Trash_and_Recycling>-
Take out the trash for Friday morning!
      - 19:00 Noisedroid/Nights<https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Noisedroid/Nights>-
An Android-Themed Co-working Night.
      - *20:00 **Five Minutes of
Fame*<https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Five_Minutes_of_Fame>(3rd
Thursdays)
      - *20:00 **In-Depth* <https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/In-Depth> (1st
      Thursdays)
   - *Friday*
      - 12:30 Django Study
Group<https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Django_Study_Group>- install
and use the Django Python-based web framework, Turing classroom
      - 15:00 Linux System Administration Study
Group<https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Linux_System_Administration_Study_Group>wiki
page - Study Linux admining in the Turing classroom.
   - *Saturday*
      - 12:00-18:00 - Noisebridge Hackathon! Second Saturday Hackathon is a
      casual monthly event dedicated to building community and working on the
      space or relevant projects. This is a great time to get feedback
or help on
      any projects you have been considering that center around the space,
      culture, and infrastructure of Noisebridge. You can also help
with existing
      projects and find out ways to get involved. (2nd Saturday)
   - *Sunday*
      - 14:00 Bay Area Hacker's Association - security
meeting<http://baha.bitrot.info/>(2nd Sundays)
      - 15:00 Go <https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Go> - Playing of the Go
      boardgame. On nice days we often take the boards to Dolores Park and play
      there.
      - 15:00 Locks! <https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Locks%21> - Lock
      sport, sundays when there is demand. ( See
locks!<https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Locks%21>for more information.
)
      - 18:00 Spacebridge <https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Spacebridge> -
      Noisebridge's space program
      - 19:00 Hack Politics
<https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Hack_Politics>-- 1st and 3rd Sundays
of the month. Hack the political systems.

*Non-weekly*

   - Second Saturdays<https://www.noisebridge.net/index.php?title=Second_Saturdays&action=edit&redlink=1>are
Noisebridge hackathon:

a casual monthly event dedicated to working on the space or relevant
projects and building community. This is a great time to get feedback or
help on any projects you have been considering that center around the space,
culture, and infrastructure of Noisebridge. You can also help with existing
projects and find out ways to get involved.

   - Five Minutes of
Fame<https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Five_Minutes_of_Fame>
   - Bay Area Hackers Association - (Second Sunday, 2PM)

*Project Updates*

Eric is doing a talk show on TV! It will be filmed live in a boat in the
beach, and then backhauled to Sutro Tower then sent into space. It will
return via the Galaxy 19 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galaxy_19> satellite,
and he enquired as to whether it would be possible to set up a satellite
receiver in the space to capture his living essence, liive.

It was mooted that we are not allowed onto the roof "except to put up
antenna". There was some tentativeness about this opinion. Eric was
encouraged to email https://www.noisebridge.net/mailman/listinfo/rack and
ask about this.

*Consensus items*

No consensus items.

*Discussion Items*

Aestetix outlined a project that would encourage people to donate money to
NB, and in return, a small posse of technical people would help them to set
up Tor nodes. The various details of this had been bounced around for a
while between people at NB, EFF, and Tor, but in the end the Treasurer
suggested the following model, separate from Noisebridge and run by said
posse:

   - Set up a new paypal account that people can donate money to
   - Every time a donation is made to that paypal account, someone (or a
   script) donates some of that money to Noisebridge/EFF, and uses the rest of
   the cash to launch a Tor node (however we decide to do it technically)
   - Have NB Fearless Treasurer issue a donation receipt from Noisebridge to
   the original donor

The discussion is still ongoing -- those interested in helping should get in
touch with Aestetix.

Everyone nodded enthusiastically, and dined on Cynthia's ginger and cinnamon
sliced yams.

Due to an error in consensus comprehension, Eric called a motion for the
meeting to be adjourned. Fortunately, the error threw an exception, so the
meeting successfully quit anyway.

We went on to discuss the madness that doing a talk show in a boat entails,
and it was revealed that Eric is a trained scuba diver, and so were other
people, and so on and so forth.

*AbEnd of Meeting*
*
*