[Noisebridge-discuss] Camera blinding jewelry?

Jonathan Foote jtfoote at ieee.org
Sun Mar 20 20:18:49 UTC 2011

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 12:37 PM, Rachel McConnell <rachel at xtreme.com> wrote:
> My coworker Randy put a lot of effort into a functional IR hoodie,
> without success.  His results are documented here:
>
> http://www.instructables.com/id/How-not-to-block-cameras/
>
> The basic issues, as I recall, were the viewing angle of the LEDs, and
> the fact that even the super-bright IR LEDs weren't enough to wash out
> the frames that someone's face was in.
>
> I also recall from somewhere, an LED-lined baseball hat, which didn't
> work either.  No link though.

Hmm. Has anyone tried multiwatt IR LEDs? Suckers are bright.

There's also this, using lasers, from back in the day. Definitely
suffers from viewing angle problem, though:
http://www.naimark.net/projects/zap/howto.html

The 808 nm pump diodes used in green lasers are exceptionally intense,
perhaps use one of those through an isotropic diffuser?

-J