[Noisebridge-discuss] 3D model interior open source simple

Nicholas "Indy" Ray arelius at gmail.com
Mon May 16 20:32:00 UTC 2011

To get general models of the kitchen I would *strongly* recommend
sketchup, it's quick, effective, and fairly easy to use. Blender is more
of a tool designed for professionals, and the learning curve is very
high. It's highly likely that you'd give up on the project before
getting a hang of Blender.

So, beyond that, serious texturing is actually really hard. Personally
I'd suggest avoiding that whole later half. But if you do end up trying
to do that, a game engine, such as UE3 or Unity, would be well suited to
a textured and walkthrough-able environment.   But even though most of
the editors for such engines do support some form of modelling I'd still
recommend that you do the modelling in a seperate editor such as
sketchup and then figure out the import pipeline later.

Indy