[Noisebridge-discuss] Are people okay with people sleeping at the Noisebridge space?

Leif Ryge leif at synthesize.us
Wed Oct 12 00:36:57 UTC 2011

On 10/11/2011 03:32 PM, Al Sweigart wrote:
> Are people okay with people sleeping at the Noisebridge space? Who has
> a problem with it? Who doesn't have a problem with it?
>
> -Al

I think people shouldn't make a habit of it, and I'm not opposed to
waking up those who do.

I am opposed to officially banning napping (which I'm assuming is what
you're actually getting at). I've been unconscious there myself a few
times, and I know a number of sleep hackers (people have joked about
this, but I'm totally serious) who've visited Noisebridge and would have
been been significantly inconvenienced if they had to leave to take
their scheduled 20 minute nap.

I think we all agree that using Noisebridge as one's residence is a
failure to be excellent, but I actually find some varieties of residing
there which don't include sleeping at all (eg, staking out one's own
area and being there nearly all the time) to be more problematic than
occasional sleeping. I don't think we need to make any rules about that
either though; just talking to people seems to work well enough.

I understand that some of those who take it upon themselves to wake up
sleeping people at NB would much prefer to be able to say "we all agreed
there is a rule that nobody can ever be asleep here". But, we don't
actually all agree about that. There are a myriad of ways to not be
excellent, and we aren't likely to agree on a set of them to make and
enforce specific rules about, so I think we ought to deal with this
class of unexcellent behavior the same way as any other: by reasoning
with people.

~leif

ps: the first google hit I see for "sleep hacking" is about Rachel
McConnell, who afaik does not sleep at Noisebridge :)