[Noisebridge-discuss] Rob 2.0 Update

Will Sargent will.sargent at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 03:18:54 UTC 2011

> case and said that he wouldn't stoop to that behavior. This is the
> first I've heard of any bomb making, incidentally, and I can't think
> of anything that might have been mistaken for bomb making either.
> Maybe someone else can add to that.

Yeah, so; Rob compared the accusations to him as being "on the same
level as saying people were making a bomb at Noisebridge" -- a
metaphorical statement rather than an actual one.  And that saying
that to the police would be "responding in kind" even though he wasn't
going to sink to that level.

He also mentioned lawsuits, special forces guys with attitude
problems, politically connected friends and black hat hackers at
various points.  I suggested he talk to the police about his lost
servers, but he didn't like that idea for philosophical reasons.

> Over the course of the hour, Will and I each took turns talking to Rob
> 2.0, who said he would leave willingly if Mitch told him to, but
> didn't think our reasons for why he should leave were valid.

>From my end:

I talk to Duncan.  Duncan tries to show me email thread between he and
Kelly, then says that Rob left, he's not going to help, Rob is
persecuted.
I talk to Rob, give him Kelly's email and #, mention mediation and
history, try to get him to call Kelly and open dialogue.
Duncan stands behind us with a cameraphone on, "documenting the
proceedings" until Rob asks him to stop.
Rob calls Kelly.  They talk.
I talk to Kelly after.
I go back in, talk to Rob.  I ask Rob if he's finishing up and
leaving.  Rob says he's not going to leave until he's talked to Mitch,
then that he's not going to leave until Noisebridge changes its name
from a hackerspace to a dramaspace, etc.
I tell Rob that he has to leave, by NB consensus, and waiting for
Mitch is not realistic.  Calling the police is mentioned.
Rob is agitated, wants to talk to Kelly again.
Kelly and Rob talk more.
I go outside, debrief with Kelly.  She mentions that Mitch has sent an
email saying he'd be happy to talk, but that he should respect the
will of the consensus.
stuff.  Rob goes back to the desk, picks up his stuff.  He mentions
that he brought in four large boxes of books that he might walk out
with, but drops off the two books he has at the library.
Rob and Miloh have a short chat.
Rob leaves.

Will.