[Noisebridge-discuss] missing IBM model M keyboard from my shelf

Tom Lowenthal me at tomlowenthal.com
Sat Sep 17 03:07:12 UTC 2011

Since things are actually going missing, the case for lockers becomes pretty
reasonable.

People are expected to keep the components for their ongoing and future
projects at the space. If these things are wondering off on their own, it's
pretty reasonable to be able to secure them somehow. Lockers are a simple,
low-tech solution. They aren't invasive, don't reduce anyone's privacy, are
hard to su
rreptitiously misuse. If the lockers are of the BYO lock type, then the
security is optional: they're basically cupboards which can be locked.

It's always been possible to hide something in the space, but it's not
excellent to hide things to which the community would object. If the
community has concerns about what a member may be keeping in their locker,
we can consense to ask, demand, or compel them to open the locker or remove
the offending item
s.

While it's true that any lock can be picked, bypassed, broken &c, it's much
more obvious when someone's trying to break into a locker than when someone
simply walks off with an item like they own it. Lockers make it clearer when
someone is doing something un-excellent and allows those present to
do-ocratical
ly intervene.

*TL; DR: Lockers are a good, non-invasive security measure. +1*

Tom