[Noisebridge-discuss] Does NB want a combo washer dryer?

Justin Doerr justinsfca at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 06:07:36 UTC 2012

On Apr 3, 2012 10:45 PM, "Scotty Allen" <scotty at scottyallen.com> wrote:

> > Then why don't you go ask them how they're beneficial and worth
> > encouraging instead of sitting here and struggling to understand? See
> > what the fuck they're into? Maybe they're not into the same notion of
> > hacking as you are? Maybe they don't get that their inability to use the
> > space as you see fit is making you unhappy? Maybe they just need someone
> > to show them your particular brand of hacker white light.
>
> I think you're jumping to conclusions.  The latest answers I got from
> conversations like this were "I'm not hacking on anything, I'm just
> here to get drunk" and "Sitting here surfing the internet beats riding
> around on the bus all night".  Sorry, I guess I'm missing the "hacker
> white light" here...
>
> -Scotty

I think it would be difficult to say considering some homeless people come
in and contribute positive net excellence by either hacking on some
specific project related to hardware or software of some sort or doing
something like washing the dishes (god forbid they do that!) and keeping
the kitchen clean, while some obnoxious douche bag who thinks he's so
awesome because he's an elite software engineer that went to MIT or
Stanford is sitting around drinking one beer after the other and doing
nothing but aggrandizing himself, but by your terms he's a hacker while the
homeless person whose sitting around clicking away at cat videos on YouTube
when they're not cleaning the kitchen is not. The real problem at
Noisebridge is because so many people are so frickin technical, they try to
make things out to be black and white when it's definitely a bunch of
different shades of gray. Everything is all relative to the situation at
hand.