[Noisebridge-discuss] Sigh -- I'm not helping with Maker Faires this year.

Tom Cauchois tcauchois at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 22:12:26 UTC 2012

Something to think about: this project is fundamentally about creating
low-cost CNC machines and better educational resources for fields that are
lacking in them (like controls).  Given that robotics is traditionally a
military field because nobody else had the money to manufacture them or
hire a lab full of robotics grad students, this project seems like it's an
explicit de-militarization and democratization of robotics.  That's the
express goal of the maker community, and the MENTOR project exists to
continue down that path.

The military will always be able to find people to work on robotics
projects, but the rest of the country could very well miss out; if there
were no maker movement, we'd still have UAVs over pakistan but we'd have no
occucopter.