[Noisebridge-discuss] let's get a TIG welder

Jake jake at spaz.org
Fri Aug 17 23:14:03 UTC 2012

Yes, i'm comparing soldering irons to welding machines.  they get hot and
give off smoke, and are excellent and useful tools at hackerspaces.

How does a TIG welder have "the potential to produce red hot metal slag if
you're using it to remove material"?  I've never heard of this.
Citation needed!

"Not everyone knows that welding galvanized metal or chromed metal gives
off harmful fumes" but also not everyone knows that using the laser
engraver on moleskine notebooks or any plastic with vinyl gives off DEADLY
CHLORINE GAS yet we decided to take a huge risk and get a laser engraver
anyway - and no one has died yet.

Have you noticed that we have propane torches?  We also have a drill
press, chop saws with no safety buttons, a fucking table-saw (with no
hotdog sensor), a laser engraver, and yes, dozens of soldering irons.

All of these tools have safety precautions.  Don't laser ABS plastic (like
what comes out of some of our 3d printers) because it emits CYANIDE GAS
and tends to melt.  cutting PVC emits chlorine gas!  yes, people should
not use the TIG welder on galvanized metal, they might get the metal flu.

I think we can handle making a few warning signs, a ventilation system,
and a vinyl curtain to block UV rays from escaping.  We are hackers and we
are capable of operating dangerous equipment.

I think we should take Martin up on his offer and get some gloves, masks,
and pliers.  I've got one welding mask and set of gloves on it already.
Then Martin will give a demonstration / instruction class and we can all
see how excellent TIG welding can be.

-jake