[Noisebridge-discuss] Enlightenment & its discontents (response to Rachel, Jim, Frantisek et al)

rachel lyra hospodar rachelyra at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 16:27:35 UTC 2012

I also am really grateful for Mike's willingness to tell his experience.

Praveen, I am also grateful for your voiced support here, and your attitude
about this kind of stuff in general. It's hard to talk about and it's
something I value about our friendship that we are both willing to try.

Indeed, I agree with you that the full default text of ada initiative would
be inappropriate here. I spent a bunch of time editing it to a shorter,
easier to work with statement more in keeping with the noisebridge
community mores. For example, Ada is written for conference environments
and includes a blanket proscription against explicit and pornographic
imagery, which is simply not in sync with what people at noisebridge would
think was appropriate.

It's great to post another example of a code of conduct.  Thanks! I spent a
few hours doing research before I decided Ada was most appropriate to use
as a starting point.  I then spent an hour or so editing it to remove
language that was inappropriate for the Noisebridge Use Case, and refining
it to consist solely of a definition of the word, and a description of the
social norm for expected response. I'd be really happy to hear any
suggestions on where my read on Noisebridge social norms was inaccurate.
After all, my goal here is simply to provide a description of our cultural
expectations: for our many users who aren't really good at reading social
situations, and for prospective users who are evaluating whether or not
they have found a technology space where people will finally get out of the
way and allow them to flourish.

If anyone has any specific alterations they'd like to suggest or make to
how harassment is defined on the wiki, that's awesome. Praveen, you said
you liked something explicit about communicating that you found in your
example? Can you pull out the relevant section? I can help you reduce it to
something more succinct if you want help figuring out how to do that. I
know you know how to edit the wiki page yourself.

If people want to talk about using another word to define the behavior,
that's cool too.

R.