[Noisebridge-discuss] sorry if the gate isn't working

Danny O'Brien danny at spesh.com
Fri Aug 31 18:37:52 UTC 2012

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 10:57:00PM -0700, Jake wrote:
> I said from day one that the scripts and all data should be on
> minotaur, since that's the computer the payphone and door unlocker
> are both wired up to.  But people argued with me.  Told me that Pony
> was the place to do stuff.  I tried to get them to understand
> hardware but it didn't work.

The scripts and all the data are on Minotaur! Your wish is granted!

Your strategy to "get them to understand hardware" may have been
misplaced. It's possibly better to say early on, that this system will
be more resilent if we run it out of one machine, what are the elements
that depend on other machines, and who can we talk to integrate those
parts. It may well be that the people you were talking to didn't feel
confident in changing what was already set up.

For instance, I think one dependence outside of minotaur was inserted by
me, in this commit:
https://github.com/dannyob/noisebridge-baron/commit/52f269eeabf382394edb05d474116713f112c2ef

If you'd raised the problem with me, I'd have agreed with you, and spent
a few hours earlier at some time fixing this.

As it is, I fixed it just now.

There is one other dependency I can see, which pre-existed my changes,
which is a dependency on DNS, which means that things can get flakey if
the Internet goes down.

> and why does it need to have # at the end of a code?  It used to
> work fine without it.  If you pressed * or # it would just cancel
> and start over.

That's a good question! I imagine the people who were doing that -- and
you can see who they are, because they committed their changes to

https://github.com/noisebridge/noisebridge-baron/commit/5232dad37d4f757493be02e1a6911d6c7f88a9eb

Why don't you ask them. I'd be interested in the explanation. Note
though that while making that change, mct also really made the code
clearer and more resilient in other ways.