[Noisebridge-discuss] New furniture

rachel lyra hospodar rachelyra at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 19:26:26 UTC 2012

He said 'please help find a new couch'

To me this indicates that he believes my delivery of information comes
along with some sort of obligation in getting involved in solving his
problem. When I say 'his problem' I mean 'the fact of the couches being
run-down, presented in his previous email as assumptive evidence of their
obsolesence' which is not a statement of fact, even though it is presented
as such.  When I share some data relevant to a project you are working on,
does that obligate me to also roll my sleeves up and help you revamp your
project to accomodate that data?

I am a social interaction research scientist. You, josh, are less adept at
social interaction (and the study thereof) than I am.

The fact that you challenge my statement regarding this area of my far
greater expertise, rather than submitting a query seeking clarification of
your poor understanding

Is a great example of the type of arrogant assumption of knowledge, along
with socially normalized dismissals, that typify 'mansplain' and the
general dude-idiot behavior that people are always talking about.  You
know, on the internet?

R.