[Noisebridge-discuss] A modest proposal / One Week Closure

Danny O'Brien danny at spesh.com
Thu Feb 16 11:55:43 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 9:05 AM, Whimzy <whimwiz at gmail.com> wrote:
> Apologies if anyone has already suggested this (I simply haven't been able
> to read the mass of messages over the past week or two) - and this may be my
> one and only useful suggestion in this seemingly endless debate - but maybe
> it would be a good idea to close Noisebridge for one week to all but a
> predetermined group of paid up members and other central people. During that
> week, you could do a thorough cleaning and organizing of the space (without
> throwing anyone's member materials out), install whatever new door system
> you decide on, and then start fresh. You could warn people in advance - like
> a 2-week notice starting tomorrow - to get their stuff out if it's not
> legitimate member stuff (i.e. oogle backpacks, troll bags, goblin
> suitcases), so there would be no legit excuse for crapping one's diaper
> afterwards because one's inappropriately-stashed-in-the-first-place crap
> gets (re)moved.

You know, I kind of like this idea. It is a bit insane (though a point
of pride) that we've kept the place open for years, and a shutdown of
a few days would let us simultaneously hack together the entrance,
signal a red letter day in terms of stuff being kept on the hacker
shelves, etc, do a ridiculously deep cleanup, bond a little bit, and
have a big party.

I scribbled down a list of things we could do -- feel free to add your own.
https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Reboot

d.