[Noisebridge-discuss] New Years Resolution: keep the Internet safe for free speech?

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Tue Jan 3 03:20:38 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 03, 2012 at 12:46:23AM +0100, John Adams wrote:
> I love Tor and Noisebridge with every bit of my heart, but to ask
> someone to donate $50 or $100 / month for a recurring pledge, you are
> basically telling me: "Hey, how about you go co-locate a server in a
> data center and run a Tor node?"

That would be awesome too!  I definitely support anyone who wants to
help by setting up their own Tor node.  It's a fair amount of work,
though.  Not impossible by any means; lots of people have done it, and
we try to document everything to make it easier (although Moritz over at
torservers.net is still doing a better job of documenting than we are).

But, a lot of people have asked the Tor Project and various volunteers
"I would like to support Tor monetarily but I don't have the
time/resources to run my own exit node, what can I do?"  noisetor.net
is our attempt to meet some of that need.  It's not the only option --
torservers.net is also awesome.

> It's approximately the same price to do so and add to the viability of
> Tor.

exit01 is cheaper per MB than any $100/mo hosting deal I'm familiar
with.  Adding more diversity is a good thing, of course.

> Not only that, by having disparate nodes, it reduces the
> single-point-of-failure issue by having all the monies in a single node.

> Who's got $1200/year to donate to this? No one.

We have at least 4 donors who have put $1000 or more, each, into
Noisetor this year.

Thanks for the comments and the interest!
-andy