[Noisebridge-discuss] Just say no to SOPA

Wladyslaw Zbikowski embeddedlinuxguy at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 19:52:52 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 7:52 PM, jim <jim at systemateka.com> wrote:
>    I'd like to understand the line between fair use
> and SOPA protections.

Guys, I think fair use and knock-off handbags are orthogonal to SOPA.
SOPA specifies remedies against copyright infringers. By definition
fair use is not infringement. Selling fake Porsche sweatshirts is
illegal under trademark laws, not copyright. Open source hardware and
software "knockoffs" are addressed by patent law, if at all.

On an unrelated note I read that RMS once had an idea to create viral
free software by using patent grants instead of copyright licenses.
Can anyone corroborate that?